Thursday, May 5, 2016

A LETTER TO JNU STUDENTS

A LETTER TO JNU STUDENTS
Dear Kanhaiya, Umar Khalid and other countless JNU students fighting for the freedom of speech and social justice,
I never thought my heart would beat and bleed for students and scholars across the border in a way as it beats and bleeds when it sees my own students in pain and trouble. And I never knew I would feel just as proud to see you speak with courage, confidence and honesty with your heads held high as I would, if I see one of my students doing so.
For the past few weeks my day starts with looking your names up on google to check on your well-being. I feel as concerned about your lives as I would for a family member, a friend or a student. I never knew the bond of fraternity that shares the same ideas and view of the world – a fraternity that shares the struggle for social justice and truth to prevail – could be stronger than anything else around.
Sometimes, I wish we were living in a world where I could stand right next to you to cheer you up in times of need and celebrate with you, the moments of victory. But even though we don’t we will continue to share the same dreams, the same intellectual space; and we will continue our struggle to make this world a better place.
At the end Congratulations for all that you have achieved so far and for your courage to stand tall and well-wishes for the days to come.
With sincere prayers
From a teacher across the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment